Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The wedding

This was an event filled with what the yankeenom, http://yankeenom.blogspot.com , would call mongol bullshit.

One of the desk teachers was getting married. Everyone at the school, except for the Scottish teacher who all of the Koreans hated, but that's another story, were invited to the wedding.

The day before the wedding, one of the Korean teachers pulls all of the foreign teachers aside and tells us some important information. The kitchen ajuma was actually the mother of the woman who was getting married. We all say, something along the lines of "Oh, I didn't know that." They tell us not to be surprised and not say anything about it at the wedding. It will be too shameful, and we have to pretend we don't notice. Personally, I couldn't care less. I wouldn't have recognized her in the sea of permed 60 year old women in Hanboks, and I wouldn't have known that she was the mother of the bride. I also wouldn't have given a flying fuck if I did recognize her.

That night, I get a frantic call from the teacher who told us about it earlier. Apparently, she had forgotten to tell Ricky teacher who should have been told before us because she's Korean. So, when Ricky teacher tells us not to act surprised when we see the kitchen lady at the wedding, we have to act surprised so that she doesn't know we were told about it before.

The wedding went fine, and no one lost face, that I know of. I personally don't get what is so embarrassing about having your mother work at the school as a cook. At this school, half of the kids' mothers worked in massage parlors.

1 comment:

  1. God damn! They actually tell you stuff not at the last minute?

    ReplyDelete