Saturday, February 27, 2010

The end of my first year

There are many tales which I have left out of my first year, but I want to get up to some of the scandalous deceit and backstabbing in my other years. So, I'll conclude the first year with this post.

Towards the end of my first year, I decided to stay in Korea, but I wanted to find a new job. I had been browsing the job postings on eslcafe as well as worknplay for many months and saw many jobs which were offering much better positions than mine.

I started contacting recruiters a couple of months before the end of my contract. I had one school interview me. The neighborhood seemed nice, and I liked the boss seemed decent, but the contract they sent me was garbage. I found a school in Bucheon which promised high level students, no kindergarten and a decent salary. I interviewed with them, and they were pretty cool. The supervisor was a gyopo/korean american(one of these days I'll figure out what the difference actually is) and he explained the conditions to me. It was Monday-Saturday, but saturday was only four hours max, and most of the time there were either no saturday classes or only a few. I verified this with some of the teachers there, and I signed up. I had to start a little late because I wanted to go home after my first year in Korea for a couple of weeks, but they agreed.

Anyways, my first year ended, and there was a graduation ceremony for the kindergarteners. I had my ticket form home provided by my boss, and after a light night of celebrating the end of the school year with some coworkers and friends, I went home. I set my alarm for 4:00am, because I had an 9:00am flight. The airport is about an hour and a half away, but I had packed everything and just needed to wake up, shower and get dressed.

I woke up the next morning at about eleven. It was Sunday, and I had my alarm on M-F instead of every day. I woke up because my former boss was opening my door and letting in the new teacher. I half consciously yelled out jamchimanyo(just a moment) and greeted my boss and replacement teacher in my boxer shorts. I realized I had over slept, freaked out for a bit and threw on some clothes.

My boss was a little worried too, so he called the airline and booked the next available flight for me to get out of the country.

I took a 50 second long shower, threw on some clothes and jumped in my boss's car. He took me to the airport. I had to pay $1500 for the flight. While on the flight, I realized that had I waited a day or two, I could have booked a flight for less than half as much, but I decided to let it be and get my refund for the original ticket when I returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment