Sunday, May 9, 2010

The biggest douche in the universe

My new supervisor had started working, but I didn't see him much as he was spending most of his time going over the system with the director. The weekend before the new session started, we had a meeting to go over the new syllabus, meet the new supervisor and discuss random other things. The meeting started, and the new supervisor was introduced. Then we got down to "important business." The new supervisor pretty much ran the meeting. The first important piece of business was stickers. Parents were complaining that we were too stingy with the stickers and didn't make it clear why stickers were awarded. So, we received sticker guidelines. One would think that this part of the meeting would take about 30 seconds, but some of my coworkers insisted on defending their own sticker policies and arguing with the new supervisor for about 20 minutes. Personally, I didn't give a flying fuck because they were stickers. If little Rora needed four instead of three, it has no effect on my classes.

The next order of business pissed me off. We didn't look busy enough when we were in the teacher's room. When we're not teaching, we should be doing work. If a parent saw one of us checking email, reading or eating, they would be very upset. We needed to appear to be working even if we weren't. This is when I excused myself, picked up my contract and printed out a copy of the current Korean labor laws. We ended up arguing for a bit, but it was settled that it was okay to relax while we were on break, but that we could only use school computers for actual work.

Some more random bullshit was discussed. None of it was in the least bit important, and then the director finally cut off the new supervisor so that we could go over the new syllabus. They explained the new format and that we would be using folders for each of the classes which we shared with our co-teachers so that we could see how the kids were doing in the other classes.

The following Monday, the new session started. We had no syllabi. Our books were also unsorted. So all of the teachers had to pick random books and guess how many pages to cover that day. I wasn't too worried. I just counted the books and compared their difficulty. I generally figured out which books to use and covered about as many pages as I had in previous classes.

When it was time to go upstairs to teach the middle school program, I still didn't have any syallabi, so I talked to the secretary up there. I wanted to be a bit more organized for those classes because they involved daily quizzes and specific computer assignments which would both be a lot more work to make up and adjust. So, I told the secretary that I had no idea what I was teaching that day and asked her if she knew which book I was teaching and what homework to give. She looked it up and told me.

The next day, I received all of my syllabi. While I was doing some prep, the douche approached me and told me he was very disappointed with how I acted yesterday. I should have known what I was teaching. I was a little taken aback. I asked him how I was supposed to know what to teach when no one had given me a syllabus. He then told me that he said the new syllabi were in the class folders at the meeting. I told him to wait a second. I then walked downstairs and pulled out all of my class folders. I brought them upstairs and showed them to him. None of them had a syllabus.

"Oh, so are you much proud? Is you happy to show me wrong? I understand. Yesterday was little bit crazy, so I forgive you. But don't forget what you is teaching again."

"Okay, buddy. Sure thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment