Saturday, May 1, 2010

Things cool off

After my fight/argument/heated discussion with my supervisor, I went home and thought about my work situation. I had some extra money saved. I was being worked to death and had to deal with tons of bullshit, so as I mentioned before, I decided to quit.

The next day, I went in and spoke with the director. I explained that while I appreciated everything that was given to me, I needed things like sleep and a single day at work that wasn't filled with stress. I agreed to stay for another month and a half so that I could leave after the summer session and he could find a replacement.

My supervisor with whom I battled the night before pulled me aside. She told me that she checked my timecard and saw the hours I was putting in and that she was sorry. She also mentioned that she had given her notice as well and that she was son angry the day before because she was fighting with the director. She told me about an opening at a hagwon in Sillim which had pretty good conditions. A coworker from my first year was working there, so I contacted them for an interview. The school seemed alright, but the hours were similar and the place seemed a little off. I interviewed with Jung Chul at their head office the next week.

The Jung Chul position sounded pretty sweet. They offered 2.6 plus all of the standard benefits, an afternoon evening shift, and a great apartment. I spoke with a few of the at that time current employees and the position sounded good.

I was ready to go back and sign, but then my director pulled me into his office. He told me how much he liked me as a teacher and that he really wanted me to stay. He wrote up a contract addendum which stated that I didn't need to attend any field trips or any other kindergarten related events. He showed me the new syllabus which had speaking two times a week and writing once instead of the reverse, and he offered me a better apartment. He also told me that the new supervisor spent a lot of time in England and was a lot more laid back.

After a bit of thought, I decided to stay. I liked the director and knew I could trust him.

The new supervisor is another story...

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you are pissing me off. I just found your site today, and reading through your posts, I just have to ask "why? why? why?" I came to Korea in 1994, been teaching English solidly since then, and I have never had such shitty jobs as you have. 12 hours a day? Only 2.6 million a month for that crazy ass schedule and working for assholes on top of that? You are seriously unlucky or just too desperate. I would never have put up with half the shit you have. Good luck man, you'll need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second job was decent for about 11 months, and my current job is pretty sweet as well. I did, however, hit a rough patch my third year. Unfortunately, great jobs with low hours, high pay and honest employers aren't as easy to find as run of the mill gigs.

    ReplyDelete