Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A good beginning

Although cleaning my apartment was a bit unpleasant, the apartment itself was pretty keen. It was an officetel and it had a decent bathroom and it came with a huge wardrobe.

I went to work to observe some classes and teach one at the end of the day. My schedule was pretty great. Although I had to teach two classes on Saturday, I was teaching about 15 classes per week my first month. All but one of my classes were one on one classes, and I had no kindergarten. It was pretty nice. There were other nice things about this new job. I had a full ten days of vacation, not the BS ten days including the weekend I had with my previous job, and I could take them when I wanted, not on scheduled school closures, which I also had and was payed for. My students were all at a pretty high level, and I neither needed to follow nor create a syllabus. It was pretty much, a student came in, we picked up where we left off and we went at a pace that worked for the student.

The one really nice thing was the summer intensives. At my previous school, they just made me work an additional two or three hours a day and I got a little bit of overtime for it. At this place, I was asked if I was interested in teaching. I was teaching about 18 classes per week at the time, and the class they wanted me to teach was an additional 1 hour per day M-F. Even though it only brought my teaching hours up to 23, I was still payed for it. I was payed 40%of the tuition for the class. That came out to around 1.2M for 15 extra hours of work, and my days were still lighter than an average day at my previous job.

It was not all sunshine and lollipops the whole time there, but we'll get to that when things go downhill fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment