Friday, March 19, 2010

Things start to get unpleasant part 5

So, I worked through the rest of the week. On Friday, there was a staff dinner at the Ilsan school, but I turned down the invitation. I had to take the subway home because the Ilsan boss was attending the staff dinner. He walked me out and showed me where the subway was and asked me to work for another week. I declined, but then he offered me a permanent position. He explained that he'd handle all of the visa stuff and that he really wanted me to work there.

I turned him down because things were still generally good in Bucheon and I enjoyed my life there. I took the subway home. On Sunday, the head teacher in Ilsan called and begged me to work for the next week. After a ton of begging and the cancer stricken teacher calling me, I finally agreed.

I finished up the week easily enough, but on pay day, I noticed my boss had neglected to pay me my severance. Upon returning to Bucheon, I immediately called my boss to ask what was up. He apologized and explained that the money would be in by Tuesday night at the latest. He had to spend a lot of money on renovations and purchasing the new name. I was pretty skeptical and pissed, so I went into work and made my boss sign a document promising that the money would be paid by Tuesday. Had I not done him a huge favor by working at another school for the last two weeks, I wouldn't have been so pissed, but begging for a favor and then turning around and not paying someone severance after a huge favor is done is a pretty shitty thing to do to someone.

I waited. After work on Tuesday, I went to the bank and checked my balance. My money still wasn't there. I went back to work and went into my boss's office. He said "I'm busy, hold on a minute." He was playing solitaire. I told him that he needed to pay me now and pulled out the signed agreement. He said he forgot. He picked up a bank book and went out to pay me. He said sorry and that he was heading straight to the bank to put my pay in.

The next day, I went to the bank. The money wasn't there. So, my boss actually pretended to go to the bank to delay my anger for half a day. I immediately called my boss. There was no answer. I tried several more times. I then sent him several angry text messages. I started off with simple ones like "Where's my money?" and "내금전 어디에??" which I'm pretty sure isn't quite correct. After a couple of hours, I put in my notice and started sending out my resume. I went in and talked to the head teacher and told him I would not be working there after one month. I decided to do the decent thing and give them a full month notice.

A couple hours later, I get a call from my boss. He was in the hospital. He said that he couldn't pay me the day before because the bank was closed. I was a little skeptical, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He promised he'd pay the next day. It took another five days, but he finally payed me my severance. When he came back he said something in horrible Konglish about how he could put me on an immigration blacklist if he wanted. This was of course in front of one of my students.

After that, things went fairly well. Then, the head teacher brought up the new vacation policy. They were offering now instead of 10 days paid vacation on days of the teachers choice, 20 days half paid vacation during exam periods. So, we would get 2 weeks off at a time and receive 75% pay for the month. I agreed because I wanted to go on a long vacation.

During the first long vacation at the end of April, I was contacted by the VP who wanted to know if I could work at a different branch in Gwacheon. The pay and contract would be the same, but it would be in a different location. I went and checked out the other branch and the area around it. I agreed. I didn't want to deal with any more bullshit from Tony.

1 comment:

  1. I will read your blog, good sir, and comment should I feel inclined.

    ReplyDelete