Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Things start to get unpleasant part 4

So, the Ilsan guy picks me up, and he's pretty nice. Apparently, the teacher I was subbing for had cancer and was recovering from treatment. So, this guy was fairly decent. Most hagwon bosses would fire someone with cancer and leave them to deal with insurance and treatment. The school was decent, and the students were alright. The school used pretty good books that the kids all liked, and everyone who worked there seemed decent.

The conditions weren't so great though. They weren't horrible, but they weren't as good as the conditions at my school. Instead of teaching about five classes a day with ten minute breaks between each class, I taught seven classes with no breaks. Most of the kids were good, but there was one kid who asked me "Teacher do you like Puck You?"

I dragged this kid out into the hall. I didn't want to invest a lot of time dealing with the kid since I would only be teaching him for one more day, so I brought him to the head teacher and told him to repeat what he said to me to her. That night I got a very apologetic call from her saying she was so sorry that the kid said something so offensive and that it wouldn't happen again. I was a little surprised, because this is pretty standard fare. Usually, Korean staff don't care and either lightly scold students or ignore it. I told her not to worry because I had experienced far worse.

The next day after I finished teaching, the Ilsan boss took me out to dinner and my Bucheon boss met us at the restaurant. We were at some "famous" restuarant and the Ilsan boss ordered bibimbop for us. It was pretty good, but I just wanted to go home. When my Bucheon boss arrived, he said "Oh no. He is America person. He needs meat!!" He then ordered some galbi. I had a few pieces, but I was already pretty full. My Bucheon boss, Tony(I forgot that I decided to include his name)spent the next twenty minutes stuffing his face and speaking with his mouth full and spitting half of his meal on my plate in true Korean fashion.

After a little while, Tony turned to me and said I need to work there for the rest of the week, but after that I would be teaching in Bucheon. The Ilsan boss would also be taking me out to dinner every night to show his appreciation. I protested, but after enough guilt was pushed in my direction for being taken out to such a nice restaurant, I finally agreed. Mostly, I just wanted to go home and get out of the uncomfortable situation of eating with two ajeoshis in a "famous" Korean restaurant.

So, I worked at the Ilsan school for the next three days.

Hmm, this looks like it will turn into a six or seven part series.

*****Stay tuned for part 5*****

1 comment:

  1. Don't let people take advantage of you. Did you ever see the movie "Yes Men"? Oh wait you were in that movie.

    ReplyDelete